Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Great Dome Debacle

I started off the night making some good progress.  I made some cuts into the inner dome to make it easier to get the outer dome to fit all the way down equally.  It may look odd with the outer dome off but once it is on these cuts will be completely hidden.

I thought I would be done for the night so I watched a documentary on Netflix about Bret 'The Hitman' Hart of all things. 



I am not a huge wrestling fan but it looked interesting.  It turned out to be very interesting but I digress from R2 building.

For some ridiculous reaon after the movie I decided to JB Weld the top section of the inner dome to the outer dome in the middle of the night.  I figured if I got the smelly chemical work done while Andrea was sleeping she wouldn't know about it so she wouldn't make me have to do it in the freezing cold garage.  In regular temperatures the weld would cure in a reasonable time frame.  I wasn't sure how it would work in cold temperatures so I was afraid to try and do it outside.  It was craziness.  And the mistakes began...

MISTAKE I:  Mixed, and applied, the JB Weld with paint sticks.  Paint sticks were WAY too big to apply it easily in the tight spaces I was working in.  It got messy.  I cleaned it up instead of stopping to take pictures.  Sorry if I disappointed anyone...
MISTAKE II:  Not enough strong clamps IMO.  The little clamps weren't really as strong as I would've liked once the JB Weld came into play.  If I could do it over I would've had more of the red clamps.


MISTAKE III:  Used an old Acetone can that had a removable top near the sink to clean my hands.  Unfortunately my sink doesn't have the stopper in place and I had been too lazy to hire a plumber to put a new one in.  And where do I accidentally drop the Acetone cap?? 

Saw that coming didn't you...  So then I was running around the first floor of the house with an open Acetone container that smelled so bad I could even smell it with my impaired, to non-existant, sense of smell.  Finally I just wrapped it in Saran Wrap just to cover it and stop the poisonous fumes from killing us all.  Or causing dain bramage...  Crap...


Around 3:00 AM I finally went to bed.  Or tried to at least.  At 4:00 Mya came in our room and started throwing up so Andrea got up and dealt with her.  I finally fell asleep.  At 7:30 Mya wanted to get up and watch TV and Andrea asked me to do it since she had "been up all night" with Mya as she threw up.  Really it was only about 30 minutes.  I know I was awake during it.  But I couldn't admit how stupid I was to her and how late I had been up so I went down and fed Mya.  Then I started writing this blog entry...

In the end the R2 Dome will be fine.  As much as I complained about the clamping issues I think they will actually be OK.  And if they look ugly on the inside you will only see them when I open the pie plates. 

And just to clear it up pie plates is the term user to reference the 6 panels on the top of an R2 unit's dome.  In a excellently done 300mm dome they can look like this:


The interior sections of mine will never look that good though...

I need to go back to bed.  ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment